Google search engine

A major obstacle impeding government’s ability to construct storm drains on the Mallam – Kasoa highway to avert the flooding on the stretch is due to bureaucratic hurdles in securing funds for the project, Roads and Highways Minister, Francis Asenso-Boakye, has disclosed.

He says government will soon construct the drains as soon as funds are secured, in order to avert the flooding that usually occurs on that stretch whenever it rains.

Some residents had to spend almost 9 hours on the stretch following a downpour on Monday evening, May 13, 2024, leaving commuters stranded due to the vehicular traffic that lasted into Tuesday morning.

Stranded residents had to walk through the floodwaters to get to their homes.

The Minister, who visited the area after the incident told journalists the delay in securing funds for the storm drains is what caused Monday evening and Tuesday morning’s unfortunate incident.

“People would have wished that this had been resolved many years ago but as you know, we need funds to do this storm drain and this is not the only storm drain challenge that we have in the city, in the region, or in the country.

“But unfortunately, we didn’t have the funds to do it. We had to go through a series of processes to get funds to do it and that is why it was delayed,” he said.

We want action on roads – drivers in Weija-Gbawe Constituency cry out to duty bearers