National Democratic Congress (NDC) National Chairman aspirant Edwin Nii Lantey Vanderpuye has issued what he describes as an “unreserved apology” to Ghana Gold Board Chief Executive Officer Sammy Gyamfi and members of the NDC after comments he made about the handling of the ongoing GoldBod controversy triggered criticism within the party.
In a statement dated August 20, 2026, Mr Vanderpuye admitted that his comments during a television discussion earlier in the day did not accurately communicate the position he intended to convey.
“I wish to sincerely apologise for my comments during my presentation on Citi TV this morning. Having had the opportunity to listen carefully to myself and reflect on the discussion, I acknowledge that I did not communicate my intended position in the manner I should have. I take full responsibility for that,” he stated.
The apology followed criticism from sections of the NDC after Mr Vanderpuye commented on the tone adopted by Sammy Gyamfi in responding to Minority Leader Alexander Afenyo-Markin over claims of losses associated with Ghana’s Domestic Gold Purchase Programme.
During the August 20 television discussion, Mr Vanderpuye described Mr Gyamfi as an effective communicator but suggested that, based on his own experience in political communication, he would have adopted a more measured approach in responding publicly to the Minority Leader. The remarks were interpreted by some NDC supporters as an unnecessary criticism of the GoldBod CEO at a time he was facing sustained attacks from the opposition.
Mr Vanderpuye, however, insists that his intention was not to strengthen the case being made against Mr Gyamfi or GoldBod.
“Let me state clearly and without ambiguity that it was never my intention to undermine or condemn our comrade, Sammy Gyamfi, or to lend support to the attacks being directed at him and the GoldBod by the opposition,” he said.
“My record, my convictions and my commitment to the NDC would never permit me to knowingly strengthen the hands of our political opponents against one of our own.”
GoldBod controversy
The controversy has its roots in an escalating disagreement between the Minority in Parliament and the GoldBod CEO over losses reported under the Bank of Ghana’s Domestic Gold Purchase Programme.
The Minority, led by Alexander Afenyo-Markin, has linked GoldBod to losses of more than US$1.7 billion — roughly GH¢22 billion — reportedly incurred under the gold purchase programme in 2025.
Mr Gyamfi has rejected that interpretation, arguing that the IMF report cited by the Minority refers to losses incurred by the Bank of Ghana under the Domestic Gold Purchase Programme and does not state that GoldBod itself incurred the US$1.7 billion loss.
At the Government Accountability Series on August 19, he challenged Mr Afenyo-Markin to identify any portion of the IMF report that specifically attributes the loss to GoldBod.
GoldBod has also pointed to its audited financial statements, with Mr Gyamfi saying the institution recorded an operational surplus of about GH¢909.7 million and an overall surplus of GH¢5.44 billion in 2025.
The Minority, however, maintains that GoldBod cannot take credit for the benefits of the programme — including foreign exchange generation, reserve accumulation and cedi stability — while distancing itself from costs and losses associated with the programme.
Mr Afenyo-Markin also criticised the tone of Mr Gyamfi’s response after the GoldBod CEO used the expression that his institution would not “take moral lessons from the brothel.”
“Ghanaians asked for figures. They were given insults. The figures are still outstanding,” the Minority Leader said in response.
It was against this increasingly heated political exchange that Mr Vanderpuye made his intervention.
‘My intention was to defend GoldBod’
In his apology, Mr Vanderpuye stressed that his intervention was actually intended to defend GoldBod and its Chief Executive.
“Indeed, my intention during the discussion was to defend the work of GoldBod and the efforts of Sammy Gyamfi,” he explained.
“Unfortunately, in reacting to the sustained propaganda and attacks surrounding the matter, I expressed myself in a way that created a completely different impression. For that error of judgement and communication, I am sincerely sorry.”
He singled out Mr Gyamfi for an apology, describing him as a committed member of the NDC carrying an important national responsibility.
“I particularly apologise to Sammy Gyamfi. He is a dedicated member of our party who has served the NDC with courage and commitment over the years, and he deserves the support of all of us,” he stated.
Mr Vanderpuye acknowledged that whatever reservations he had about the manner in which the GoldBod CEO responded to the controversy should not have been expressed in a way that could be interpreted as endorsing the opposition’s criticism.
“Whatever observations I may have had should never have been expressed in a manner capable of being interpreted as validating the attacks of our political opponents against him,” he added.
Apology to NDC grassroots
Mr Vanderpuye also extended his apology to the NDC leadership, members and grassroots supporters who were angered or disappointed by the comments.
He said party members were justified in expecting solidarity from NDC leaders, particularly when government officials and institutions headed by members of the party were under political attack.
“At a time when our comrades and the institutions they lead are subjected to politically motivated attacks, members rightly expect those of us who have been entrusted with leadership and those aspiring to greater responsibility within the party to demonstrate solidarity, sound judgement and loyalty to our collective cause,” he said.
The development assumes added political significance as Mr Vanderpuye is seeking to become National Chairman of the NDC.
He ended the statement by reaffirming his allegiance to the governing party.
“The NDC is my political home, and my loyalty and commitment to its cause remain unwavering.”










