Google search engine

Counsel for galamsey kingpin Aisha Huang, Captain Nkrabeah Effah Dartey, has revealed why government discontinued its charges against his client in 2018.

The 2007 flagbearer hopeful of the NPP says government would have lost the case if it had continued and would have been an indictment for the state to aquit Aisha Huang.

The lawyer whilst speaking on the Key Points on TV3 Saturday, October 15, 2022 maintained what he would have done as government then would have been to discontinue the case and the Attorney General –Gloria Akuffo –filing a nolle prosequi was the best.

“Now, I Nkrabeah Effah Dartey, to be frank I was not surprised. Because the way the case was going and having cross examined six witnesses, most of them immigration officers, I got the impression that the case was going almost against government and the chances were that if Justice Ekow Baden is to be fair to the law and the facts, the chances were that he will quit the case and discharge Aisha Huang.

“That was the impression I had and so I told myself that indeed if I were government, if I were the Attorney General, if I were one of the top decision makers in government, we will find ways and means of truncating the trial.

“Because if Aisha Haung is acquitted and discharged, it will not be good for the image of government. So I was not surprised when nolle prosequi was entered,” he told host, Alfred Ocansey.

READ ALSO: ‘I would have been sanctioned if I had refused to defend Aisha Huang’ – Effah Dartey

Meanwhile, the old soldier said how Aisha Huang left the shores of Ghana without his knowledge until he heard of her latest arrest remains a mystery to him.

“But when nolle prosequi was entered, the next thing was that she was flown out of the country. By what means, was it because the government had declared her persona non grata. The Minister of Interior, Ambrose Dery, did not say anything about it.

“The President himself, His Excellency, did not say anything about it. What we saw was that, the next day she was flown out of Ghana and she remained outside this country after three, four years until she suddenly surfaced,” he narrated.

By Felix Anim-Appau|