The Western regional minister Kwabena Okyere Darko-Mensah has told journalists that the company at the centre of the explosion at Anto Aboso, STA-ADDSAMS Enterprise formally known as OMNI Quarry is not fully licensed to operate per his checks with the Minerals Commission.
The regional minister, has, however, assured that owners of the Quarry will be brought to book while pledging to intensify visits to both mining and quarry sites in the region to avert possible disasters.
He made the statement when he visited the scene of the explosion which has so far claimed some lives with scores injured.
At least three Ghanaians and five Chinese nationals have been confirmed dead following the Anto Aboso explosion in the Shama district of the Western region.
The deadly explosion is said to have occurred around 10:00pm Saturday, September 9, 2023.
The cause of the disaster is not yet known.
Personnel from the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS), National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO), Ghana Police Service were on the scene helping with rescue efforts as investigations also began.
Dismembered bodies suspected to be that of the Chinese nationals were scattered at the scene.
The magnitude of damage are being compared to the gas explosion that occurred at Appiatse in 2022.